Rwanda is a small, land-locked country located in east Africa. Bordered by Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda has a population of 10.5 million people. The major economic sectors are tourism, mining and agriculture. The three official languages are Kinyarwanda, English and French.
On this page you will find quick facts about Rwanda, as well as the country’s national symbols including the flag, coat of arms and the national anthem.Quick Facts
- Land Area: 26,338 square km/10,169 square miles
- Location: 75 miles south of the equator in the Tropic of Capricorn, 880 miles west of the Indian Ocean and 1,250 miles east of the Atlantic Ocean
- Borders: Uganda to the north, Tanzania to the east, Burundi to the south and Democratic Republic of the Congo to the west.
- Population: Approx. 10.5 million (2012 Census)
- Languages: The three official languages are Kinyarwanda, English and French
- Currency: The Rwandan franc Capital City: Kigali
- Major economic sectors: Tourism, mining, agriculture
- Rainfall: Rainy seasons: March - May and October - November (Average of 110-200 mm. per month)
- Average temperature: 24.6 - 27.6ºc.
- Altitude: Ranges from 1000m to 4507m above sea level
- Main National Parks: Akagera and Virunga Volcanoes National Parks
- Highest point: Karisimbi volcano (4,507m)
National Anthem - Rwanda Nziza
Rwanda nziza Gihugu cyacu
Wuje imisozi ibiyaga n’ibirunga
Ngobyi iduhetse gahorane ishya.
Reka tukurate tukuvuge ibigwi
Wowe utubumbiye hamwe twese
Abanyarwanda uko watubyaye
Berwa, sugira, singizwa iteka.
Horana Imana, murage mwiza
Ibyo tugukesha ntibishyikirwa;
Umuco dusangiye uraturanga
Ururimi rwacu rukaduhuza
Ubwenge, umutima, amaboko yacu
Nuko utere imbere ubutitsa.
Baraguhanga uvamo ubukombe
Utsinda ubukoroni na mpatsibihugu
Byayogoje Afurika yose
None uraganje mu bwigenge
Tubukomeyeho uko turi twese.
Komeza imihigo Rwanda dukunda
Ngo amahoro asabe mu bagutuye
Wishyire wizane muri byose
Urangwe n’ishyaka, utere imbere
Uhamye umubano n’amahanga yose
Maze ijabo ryawe riguhe ijambo.
Land of hills, lakes and volcanoes
Be blessed our motherland
Let us laud you and proclaim your greatness
You who brought us forth and keep us together,
Be gracious, live long and always be praiseworthy
God be with you, our precious heritage
What we owe you is beyond measure
Our common culture is our identity
Our language unites us all
Let our minds, hearts and vigour enrich you
So that you may forever advance
Our valiant forefathers
Gave the best of themselves
To make you a great nation
You fought foreign domination
That befell our Africa
Independence was your prize
And we will all defend it
Stay the course our beloved Rwanda
For you we are ready to make the sacrifice
So peace may reign among your people,
So you may live in unlimited freedom,
May you be renowned for your zeal, may you forge
May you live in harmony with all nations
And may dignity be your strength
band represents happiness and peace.
band symbolises economic development.
The green band symbolises the hope of prosperity.
The sun represents enlightenment.
Coat of Arms
Motto: Ubumwe (Unity), Umurimo (work) and Gukunda igihugu (Patriotism)
Green rope with a reef knot: development through hard work
The sun: transparency and enlightenment
Sorghum and coffee: diversified agricultural production
Basket: Rwandan culture of saving, solidarity and sharing
Cog: science, technology and industrial development
Shields: patriotism and defence of national sovereignty